Friday, June 10, 2011

Review: Hush, Hush

by Becca Fitzpatrick
publisher: Simon & Schuster
date published: September 14, 2010 (first published October 29, 2009)
format: paperback
pages: 391
source: purchased
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N
challenges: Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge; 2011 YA Reading Challenge

From Goodreads:
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.
What I Thought

Hush, Hush is a book about choices. Sometimes the most minor decision can come with huge consequences. This concept is present in almost all of the characters. From Nora to Patch, choice plays a huge role in the progression of the plot. Throughout the story, each makes a series of decisions that ultimately influence the final outcome. I really enjoyed that aspect of this book and was prompted to think about the process of decision-making and all that it entails. Each decision had a clear impact on the conclusion, which was very interesting to look back on once the book was finished. There weren't any loose ends that bothered me, which I really appreciated. As for the rest, it serves very well as a segue into the next book. I look forward to finding out what will happen next.

I was able to get a good connection with most of the characters. The easiest for me to understand was Nora. In many ways, her mind works much like my own so it was a very easy connection to make. I appreciated her practicality, as well as her willingness to consider things that are typically outside of her realm of knowledge. Her friend Vee, however, was another matter. I could not understand how these two could be friends. Vee is impulsive, overly dramatic, and a bit of a liar, which was a huge turn-off as a side kick. Her trouble-making ways did lead to several pivotal moments in the story, I will give her that. I just felt very exhausted after reading the sections that included her. Patch was an entirely different kettle of fish. I could not for the life of me get a good read on this guy. Usually it's pretty easy to figure out male characters in novels such as this one. Not this time. Patch kept me in suspense throughout the entire book. I didn't know what he was going to do from one chapter to the next which, I have to say, I really liked. Unpredictability was displayed at its fullest extent in Patch. I can't say that he's my favorite PR male character, but he was an interesting one to read. I walked away pretty pleased with the characters I had just read about.

The plot was well laid out, in my opinion. The transitions were easy to follow and the suspense was kept up without being confusing. The hints about the hows and whys of the events in the story were subtle enough to keep the ending from being revealed too early and allowed for a nice build-up to the conclusion. The setting the story takes place in made for an interesting one. I've not read too many books set in Maine, so this one was a lot of fun to read since it provided something of a new world for me to slip into. I might have liked a little more description of Nora's surroundings, but I enjoyed it overall.

I really enjoyed Hush, Hush once I got the chance to sit down and really sink into it. The themes, characters, and air of mystery combined to make a fun read that I will look forward to re-reading someday. I am definitely glad that I picked up this book when I found it. It was a good start to the series and I look forward to reading more in the future. I give Hush, Hush 4 hoots.

10 comments:

  1. I read this one a couple months ago and loved it. Some of the things Nora did were a bit silly though. I mean, the coat scene, I wouldn't have done that.

    I really liked Patch, he was witty and fun, but I do agree, he was hard to get a read on.

    I read Crescendo last month, but I didn't enjoy it as much as this one. My Review is here

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Brett @ Demons Read Too

    LOL! I agree. That was a very naive moment for Nora and I pretty much did the mental equivalent of a palm to the forehead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got scared off from this one because I heard all this controversy about Patch being controlling and abusive. I don't really avoid books because of those sorts of things but controlling guys make me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jenny

    He was a pretty big jerk. As I said, he definitely wasn't one of my favorites. I'm afraid of going into a rant like I did earlier this week, though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! Loved this book as well. Patch was such an awesome character. A little creepy at first--which is to be understood--but still pretty great. Crescendo was good as well, but not as good as Hush Hush, but still can't wait to read Silence and finish the trilogy!!

    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written review Marla. I really love the way in which you structure your posts.

    By the way, I replied to your comment here :) http://scathingweekly.blogspot.com/2011/06/whats-in-box.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Scather

    Why, thank you, Scather. :) I don't set out to write formal reviews, but my English major tendencies do tend to leak through at the oddest moments. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I LOVED Hush Hush!!! Patch is my new boy toy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, I just bought this last night and I have heard a couple bad things about it so this is refreshing to hear :)

    ★Leila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again Marla!
    I didn't get any notification... what was meant to happen?

    BTW I responded to your comments here:
    http://scathingweekly.blogspot.com/2011/06/more-eat-pray-love-madness-luca.html
    and here:
    http://scathingweekly.blogspot.com/2011/06/whats-in-box.html

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva