Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Did Not Finish: The Map of Time

by Felix J. Palma
publisher: Atria (an imprint of Simon & Schuster)
date of publication: June 28, 2011
format: ARC
pages: 624
source: from Simon & Schuster
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N

From Goodreads:
A Map of Time by Felix J. Palma. Set in Victorian London with characters real and imagined, The Map of Time is a page-turner that boasts a triple play of intertwined plots in which a skeptical H.G. Wells is called upon to investigage purported incidents of time travel and to save lives and literary classics, including Dracula and The Time Machine, from being wiped from existence. What happens if we change history?

Why I Didn't Finish

I really wanted to like this book. When I first heard the synopsis I was very enthusiastic and couldn't wait to read it. When I received the ARC, I was excited. However, try as I might, I just could not get drawn into this book. I gave it nearly 200 pages in the hopes that it would pick up, as I had heard that parts 2 and 3 were better. Part of what made it unappealing was the narrator's habit of interjecting and digressing. This, combined with somewhat excessive verbiage, made for a slow-going read and wandering attention, on my part. Unfortunately, I came to the realization that reading this book felt more like a chore than self-gratification. I truly believe that it is a great book for readers with certain tastes. I, however, am not one of them, so I am going to be putting this one back on the shelf for now. I may try again later to see if it appeals to me more, but for now, I am going to abstain from either finishing or rating this one.

Obligatory legal statement: This advance reading copy was provided to me free of charge by the publisher in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I wanted to hear good things. Sorry you didn't like it. I'll pass it up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenny

    Believe you me, I am just as disappointed. I had been looking forward to it since I got it in the mail. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, glad to hear I wasn't the only person who felt this way about it. I also was so excited to get the book as an ARC and I love the story idea. But as you said, it kept going off on tangents that just took me out of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I am into Part 2 right now and am liking it. I think it's interesting and it's holding my attention. Though I totally agree with you about valuing your time over a book you aren't enjoying - if you can't get into it - don't suffer through it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always sad to be excited about a book, and then not be able to get into it. I think that's more disheartening than reading something you were ambivalent about and not enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva