Thursday, June 2, 2011

Follow Friday, Book Blogger Hop, & TGIF: June 3



Follow Friday is hosted by Parajunkee and is a way for book bloggers to get to know each other better. To join in and make some friends, simply follow the directions listed by Parajunkee on her blog.

This week's featured blogger is Ninja Girl from Ninja Girl Reads. Be sure to stop by, follow, and say, "Hello!"

This week's question:

What are you doing to prepare for an upcoming zombie apocalypse and/or the return of Mel Gibson to the silver screen? (Both of which could be terrifying.)

Terrifying, indeed. The way I figure, our apartment is in such pitiful condition so far as the windows go that we would pretty much be screwed unless we commandeer one of the vacant units upstairs and disable the outside staircase. We have a toolbox and both know how to use it. ;) As for the possibility of a Mel Gibson resurgence, I'm afraid we would have to stop watching television to avoid the commercials. I have no interest in seeing what he's going to blame on the British this time. :P



The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly event hosted by Crazy-For-Books. It is a way for book bloggers to connect and discover new blogs they might enjoy.

Every week there is a new question. This week, the question is:

Share your favorite post from the last month and tell us why it's close to your heart!

Admittedly, I don't often write non-meme or non-book review posts. I think the post closest to my heart from last month is my Past, Present, or Future? post. I wrote the post in answer to a prompt from New Books for New Bloggers, but it is very like the conversations I have with my real-life friend, Nikki, about the different books we read. Those conversations are a lot of fun, so the post was a lot of fun to write.



TGIF is a meme from Ginger at GReads! Every Friday there is a new question to answer and new bloggers to meet.

This week, the question is:

Book Love: Do you share your books with others? Who was the last person you sent a book to?

I'll admit it: I'm a bit like Gollum when it comes to my books. I've been burned too often in the past by people deciding to simply keep books I loan them. I don't like feeling like a debt collector, so I, sadly, stopped loaning books for the most part. I have one friend who I loan books to, however, and who loans books to me, as well. I have passed along a lot of my favorites to her, thus helping her discover new favorites of her own, and vice versa. I have also given her a book that she liked more than I did, so our little system works out very nicely, I think.

22 comments:

  1. Oh no! You must be prepared to leave that apartment at any time then! And yes, Mel Gibson is good at getting face time on tv so it would be hard to avoid him on tv!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. New follower! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping through. I have a toolbox, but I don't know how to use it :-)
    My Anniversary Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew there was a reason I didn't want TV! It's to avoid the Mel G commercials! haha! Sounds like you'd be prepared for the zombies! :)

    What part of TN are you in?? I'm in Chattanooga! I love meeting people in my state. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Funny question and great answer. Thank goodness for toolboxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping through from FF.
    I second Alison's answer. I have a toolbox and don't know how to use it. But hey...that's what boyfriends are for right?

    -Mocha from A Cupcake and A Latte: YA Reads, Reviews & More!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi & Happy Friday!

    I love reading everyone's answers this week :) my FF is here, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!! Stop watching tv altogether? Some of my favorite movies are his, but his ignorant views make them hard to enjoy.

    Rie @ Mission to Read

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you can always watch DVDs!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I hope you and your honey escape then!I didn't know Dear old Mel blamed things on the Britts...though I guess it stands to reason because he blames the Jews, his wife, the dogs, the president of the US, and Hollywood in general for all of his problems lol...
    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I don't have the same resistance to loaning books out as you do, I did giggle quite a bit with your reference to Gollum. Gotta keep those precious's close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi-I'm a new follower (NAY) from Follow Friday Blog Hop:)
    Come visit me too:)
    Like the look of your bloggy, btw!
    Here's my blog link:
    www.covertocoverandbetween.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your answer! And I have a couple of toolboxes that I know how to use as well, we can definitely join forces! It sounds like you've really thought this through lol. I'm afraid I probably wouldn't be able to get through my apartment windows, too small! And they ARE Jelly Belly beans! You're definitely going to have to share those buttered popcorn-flavored beans! Thanks for stopping by! New follower;)

    ~Loren
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post was great! I've also started discovering urban fantasy and dystopia, so I'm much like you in reading tastes. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You may need to stock up on some weapons to help protect you in your apartment. It may help you survive longer, at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've finally figured out that I only loan books out that I don't mind losing forever. That way, I'm not disappointed if I don't get them back, since that's the way it usually goes, unfortunately.

    I've been by before, but I'm glad to have re-discovered you via the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Popping over from Parajunkee.

    Happy Friday! I'm following you now.

    (my follow-friday post)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately I know exactly how it feels when I friend keeps a copy of your book when they are only supposed to be borrowing in. One friend had my copy of The Host by Stephanie Meyer for almost a year! I don't think that is a very nice thing for them to do! But it is great you still have one friend you can count on for great book recs.
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your post does sound fun different...thanks for sharing.

    I like this week's question.

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know any way to defend myself from Zombies. I really don't know that much about defending myself, period. I suppose I could try to run away?

    I'm stopping by via the Hop. I hope you will visit my blog, Readerbuzz. I always follow back.
    And I am doing a monthly giveaway. This month: Anna and the French Kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We should just join the zombies to avoid Mel Gibson! Thanks for stopping by...I'm a new follower!

    Diana @ Book of Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great blog Marla! I'm your newest follower!

    www.allaboutyabooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. New follower here! I love your blog! I have to say that I love to recommend books to friends, but I truly don't enjoy loaning them out anymore. People just don't take care of them!!

    Girls with Books

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva