Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: Crescendo

by Becca Fitzpatrick
publisher: Simon & Schuster
date published: October 29, 2010
format: hardcover
pages: 427
source: borrowed from a friend
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N
challenges: Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge; 2011 YA Reading Challenge

From Goodreads:
Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. A mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever (if that's possible) and what's worse, he's started spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude, Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feelings that he is hiding something.

If that weren't enough, Nora is haunted by images of her murdered father, and comes to question whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death. Desperate to figure out what happened, she puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations to get her answer. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.

What I Thought

If Hush, Hush was largely about choices, then Crescendo is about jealousy. That was the one theme that stood out the most in this installment of the Hush, Hush series. I was actually left feeling extremely frustrated with nearly every single character. I honestly can only think of one that did not annoy me, which wound up being extremely ironic. On top of that, the danger that Nora is supposed to be threatened by is often over-shadowed by her feelings of jealousy and her constant need to see what Patch is doing. As she makes more and more reckless decisions, the more level-headed Nora we met in Hush, Hush becomes ever more a thing of the past. Instead, we see a girl in a mindset much like Bella's in New Moon. Now, I don't make it a habit to compare books in such a manner. However, that is what immediately came to mind while I read Nora's exploits in trying to catch Patch's attention, all the while putting herself in dangerous situations to do so. Nora may not have been pining away in the same manner Bella did, but it was still frustrating to read about her dangerous ideas and schemes. I didn't like it in New Moon and I certainly didn't like it in Crescendo. It wasn't until things started heating up and Nora began concentrating more on her father's death that things began taking a turn for the better.

As I previously mentioned, the characters were a huge stumbling block for me with this book. Probably the most infuriating (aside from Nora), was Marcie Millar, who saw more face time in this book that she had in Hush, Hush. The best way to sum it up: Marcie made me feel dirty. I could not believe how horribly she acted toward Nora (and in her everyday life, when it comes right down to it). If she was meant to play the part of a minor villain, then I say, "Mission, accomplished!" She definitely provoked a lot of ire, that's for certain. As for Patch, I liked him a lot less than I had in Hush, Hush. He pretty much began living up to all of Nora's expectations of him from the previous book. His reaction to the problems surrounding his relationship with Nora was appalling, at best. It wasn't until the very end that he redeemed himself, but he is definitely a tarnished character, in my eyes.

The saving grace for this book came in the form of the spectacular plot twist that began taking shape around the middle of the book. Finally, Nora began to really think about the mysterious events surrounding her father's death, as well as some earth-shattered revelations she learns of. The story was finally able to give me something to sink my teeth into and I quickly became immersed from there on out. The most spectacular revelation of all came when a character previously thought to be good turns out to be very bad, indeed. No, I'm not going to tell you who that character is. That would ruin the best part, after all. Suffice it to say that my head was left reeling when the who, how, and why finally came to light. That part of the story was very well-constructed and I was finally happy to have read the book.

This book turned out to be very full of conflict and complication. I felt anger, frustration, and a keen sense of bafflement during the first half before I finally shifted into curiosity and wariness during the second. This book very nearly wound up on my sparsely populated 2 hoots list. However, I can definitely appreciate a well-executed plot twist and was content again by the end. Crescendo fought its way onto the 3 hoot list with its spectacular revelations and engrossing mystery sub plot.

6 comments:

  1. I've got Hush, hush waiting for me to read but I keep coming across mixed reviews of crescendo.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I've never checked this series out before but I just may need to. I'm with you, I love a good plot twist! New follower here...great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one, but not as much as Hush, Hush. But still a decent read for the series. Can't wait for the final one this fall though. Will definitely be getting that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an issue with series overall (mainly but not limited to Patch and Nora's relationship), although I did read Crescendo and it was okay but not something I liked. I do like the idea of this series but the execution for me is just a bit iffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like to compare books from different series/authors to each other either, but I drew similar comparisons between Nora and Bella Swan. I'm still debating whether I reread this one before Silence or not. If you're interested in my review, it's at:

    http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=2290

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this book to be frustrating as well! I didn't like it nearly as much as Hush, Hush. I'm hoping Silence will be Much better.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva