Sunday, June 5, 2011

Review: Spellbound

by Cara Lynn Shultz
publisher: Harlequin Teen
date of publication: June 28, 2011
format: eGalley
pages: 384
source: Netgalley
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N
challenges: Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge; 2011 E-Book Reading Challenge; 2011 YA Reading Challenge

From Goodreads:
What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?

Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

What I Thought

Spellbound is a refreshing approach to YA paranormal romance. The protagonist, Emma Conner, has seen a lot of tragedy in her life. With the deaths of her twin brother and mother, followed by the abuse she falls victim to at the hands of her alcoholic stepfather, Emma resolves to make a fresh start with her aunt in New York City's Upper East Side. Little does she know, things are about to change a lot more than she bargained for. When she meets Brendan Salinger at the prep school her aunt has enrolled her in, Emma is hit with an intense attraction, strange dreams, and messages from her deceased brother, all of which make her question the possible sources behind them all.

This book had a lot to say. Not only is it a romance, it has a message, as well. Emma is the target of bullies at her new school: the snobby Kristin and the especially creepy Anthony. Emma handles the bullying with dignity and does her best to keep her head held high. As the story unfolds, we are given a glimpse of the serious issue that is bullying. I really felt for Emma, for I could relate to her very well. From her oddball sense of humor to her open-mindedness, she is a girl after her own heart. She is the type of girl my teenage self would have been friends with. Also much like Emma, I was bullied as a teen, so she was all the more easy to relate to. Watching her stand up for herself had me cheering at several parts. I really admired her backbone and her willingness to see past the facade of her lab partner, Angelique, a self-proclaimed witch who ramps up the showiness of her actions and appearance to hide her true character. Watching their friendship grow in the face of bullying was a beautiful thing.

Another thing I liked was the romance between Emma and Brendan. I can only describe it as intense restraint. They feel strongly for each other, yet respect each other enough to take things slowly. Many of the interludes had a resounding sweetness that made for a nice juxtaposition for the more serious issues at hand and added just the right touch of lightness when needed. Others were intense to the point of being butterfly-inducing, the kind of interludes that remind me of when I first started dating my now husband. The supernatural bond that holds them was the icing on the cake and made the entire thing all the better.

Finally, in regard to the villains (an apt description, in this case), may I just say: holy smokes! I think Anthony is quite possibly one of the more sinister figures I have seen in a while, which is saying something since he exudes menace without the benefit of supernatural traits. The fact that it is all him is probably even more frightening. Kristin was a nuisance for Emma. Anthony can only be described as a monster and is a prime example of the dangers of bullying. However, I did find myself wondering about him. What made him into such a horrible asshat (sorry, but I had to say it)? I don't know if we will ever find out, but it does raise many questions as to the hows and whys behind his actions and demeanor.

I stayed up all night reading the second half of this book. Once it reached a certain point in the story, I couldn't bear to stop reading. I paid for it the next morning, but I would do it again if I had to do it over. I can not wait to add this one to my personal library and am so glad that Harlequin Teen gave me the chance to read it. I look forward to a continuation of this tale and give Spellbound an enthusiastic 5 hoots for being such an enchanting read.






Obligatory legal statement: This galley was provided to me free of charge via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Once I got to around the middle of the book, I just couldn't stop. You may be a bit more enthusiastic about this book then I, but I still really liked it. Great in debt review!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have this galley and I am so excited to read it now.

    Andrea @ Reading Lark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your review! I'm reading this next and can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is in my queue and I'm so looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read this so bad! Looks so good and the cover is so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva