Sunday, June 5, 2011

Darkness Too Visible? Your Generalizations Are Showing.



I should really be going to bed, but I have been thinking about this article from the Wall Street Journal for the past hour or so. Rather than lie in bed and fume about it, I'm going to have my say. In the article, one Meghan Cox Gurdon takes it upon herself to spout off many generalizations about young adult literature, including the use of words like "depraved," as well as lovely sentiments such as this: "Now, whether you care if adolescents spend their time immersed in ugliness probably depends on your philosophical outlook." Pardon me? Ugliness? I have read a great deal of YA literature in my lifetime. Granted, I am now 28 and a mother in my own right, but that does not mean that I can't appreciate a good YA novel. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made the decision to pursue a library science degree after undergraduate school and make youth services librarianship my life's work of choice. In any case, out of all of the books I have read, I can not honestly say that ugliness is a characteristic I would apply to any of them. Where I do see ugliness is the real world. Most of the YA I have read takes a look at ugly topics and has the protagonist face and overcome them. This world is not an easy place to live in, nor is life easy for everyone. I was a teenager once. I remember how it felt to feel alone. Books got me through many of the rough patches I experienced then, much as they do now.

Another aspect of this article that rubbed me the wrong was was Ms. Gurdon's implied vilification of librarians. Several of her references to libraries, librarians, and the ALA came across with thinly veiled snideness. Rather than addressing one of the real issues (i.e. parents who don't take the time to discuss what their kids are reading with them or, God forbid, pick up the book and read along with them), Ms. Gurdon seems to have gone the over-generalized, scapegoat route with her article. She seems to have picked some of the more sensational examples she could think of to pad her article with shocking statements and then proceeded to lump every single book in the genre along with them. Much like any other reading level, YA is much more varied than that, yet you don't see her mentioning this. Why is that, Ms. Gurdon?

Finally, I would like to address the mother mentioned in the article. I was troubled to see the old adage of judging a book by its cover take on an alarmingly literal aspect. She took special care to mention "lurid covers." That is only the outer face of a book. I find it difficult to believe that out of all of the books set before her she couldn't find a single one whose topic didn't make her cringe. As I previously said, books are varied. There is a wide array of subject matter out there, not all of it "dark" (I would be more inclined to say "weighty"). The book store employee was no better. How about some honest to goodness research for once. I simply can not take anyone seriously who casts aside a book without so much as finding out what it's really about, no matter if it is a YA book or adult fiction. An over-abundance of idealisation is not going to be the most helpful route to take in this day and age. I know that I wish some of the books I have most recently read had been available 10 years ago. I felt incredibly alienated at times and would have benefited from a book that addressed the harder issues that plague society. I am, however, glad that I will have the opportunity of reading with my daughter and then discussing what we read. She might not be able to read yet, but I hope she will grow up with a love of books as insatiable as my own.

I will admit it, this article left me feeling very angry. It was akin to a slap in the face to have one of the genres that has played such a big role in my life be vilified. Censorship is never okay, so to see Ms. Gurdon mention those who stand against it in such a scoffing manner was very upsetting. To write an article so full of generalizations, stereotypes, and demeaning language is ridiculously asinine. However, she has the right to do so, much as everyone has the right to write or read as they see fit. I highly doubt Ms. Gurdon would appreciate having her work censored. Censorship is a slippery slope. The phrase, "Be careful what you wish for," especially comes to mind. Rather than implying that certain topics be done away with, why not set about to engage in informed discussion? Perhaps then each side would understand the other better.

"The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame." -Oscar Wilde

"We read to know that we are not alone." -C.S. Lewis

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." -G.K. Chesterton



Did the article upset and/or offend you? Have something to say to the Wall Street Journal? Let them know! There is a Twitter hash tag campaign in progress to let them know what YA really means to its readers. Click the button above to go to the Twitter #YAsaves page. Then, write a tweet. In your tweet, write how YA has changed or affected your life and include the hashtag #YAsaves and address it to @wsj.

4 comments:

  1. You've summed up the stupidity of the article perfectly. I was told last year in my YA class that the YA age bracket is now considered to reach as 'old' as 28 (although 25 is the general cut-off) and doesn't actually start till the age of 14, so of course there are more weighty topics because a 25 year old doesn't want to read the baby-sitter's club, unless desperate for some nostalgia.

    Not to mention that at the age of 14 I knew kids who'd had sex, who'd cut themselves, who'd contemplated suicide (although how seriously I'll never truly know) and a boy in the grade above me was murdered by his sister (loooong tragic story behind that). Darkness pervades the life of teens whether a parent likes it or not, at least the books that deal with the subjects let the kids know they're not alone.

    The other thing that really annoyed me was the suggestion that it would have some form of negative ramifications on the kids reading it. There has been no conclusive evidence that books/films/video games are detrimentally to a child's mental wellbeings. The guys from Columbine didn't go on a rampage because they were playing videogames, they did it because they were bullied, marginalised and disaffected. Chapman didn't kill Lennon because of A Catcher in the Rye, he did it because he was mentally ill. To suggest otherwise is ignorant and denies the real cause of the problems.

    Ok rant over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on twitter last night watching the response that #YASaves was giving to the article and it was outstanding to see the support that the literature was getting. It feels so awesome to be a part of something so strong.

    I just wrote up my blog post in response to the article as a reader of YA literature and strong supporter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in Australia and only learnt of this article a few minutes ago. Having now read it,I think you present an excellent response. I'm not a huge YA reader, I stick more to adult fiction (I'm 28 too), but I have read some and none of it has seemed too dark or upsetting for teens to me.

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva