Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Review: The Forest of Hands and Teeth

by Carrie Ryan
publisher: Delacorte Press
date published: February 9, 2010 (first published March 10, 2009)
format: paperback
pages: 310
source: purchased
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N
challenges: Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge; 2011 YA Reading Challenge

From Goodreads:
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?
What I Thought

I was pretty psyched going into this book. It had been quite a while since I had read a book that contained zombies as part of the plot (we won't count P&P&Z), so I was overdue for one. Right from the starting line Ms. Ryan did a great job of setting the scene. The village Mary lives in is a quiet one from the first glance. However, it soon becomes apparent that something is amiss. As we learn more and more about the Unconsecrated, the full extent of the problems the village faces is revealed. This is a world in which practicality and preparedness are musts. There is little room for anything outside of that. Unfortunately for Mary, she craves more. Like the Unconsecrated that press against the village fences, Mary hungers for something she can't reach. In her case, that something is freedom.

I simply loved the feel of the world that was created within the pages of this book. It was riveting, thrilling, heart-breakingly poignant, and full of foreboding. This isn't the happily ever after type of book, but that just makes it all the more intriguing. However, I have a few bones to pick about Mary. I found myself struggling to get a feel for her. She comes across very well personality-wise. It was certain characteristics of hers that caused my problems in connecting with her. She tends to get tunnel vision when it comes to certain things, which makes her often incapable of seeing what's in front of her face the entire time. She spends most of the book longing for what she can't have, sometimes even when she could have had it had she just looked sooner. Granted, this idiosyncrasy of hers influences a lot of the storyline, but it made it very difficult to become completely attached to her. It wasn't until the very end that I finally connected with her as a character and became fully immersed in the story. Unfortunately, by that time there was only 5 chapters or so left. At least I have the second book waiting for me on my shelf.

I usually don't think too long or too hard about the love triangles in books such as this, but I liked the approach Ms. Ryan took with this one. Rather than facing the decision of picking from two guys that she likes almost equally, Mary is faced with a different choice: duty or love. In the world she lives in, duty goes a long way. However, given Mary's somewhat rebellious spirit, she desperately wants to be able to choose love, instead. The dilemma leaves Mary with a myriad of feelings; desperation, anger, guilt, longing, frustration, and much more. What is right? That is the million dollar question in this book, and it was interesting watching her make her decision.

I really liked the book toward the end. If not for my somewhat detached feeling during the first part I would have been over the moon about it. However, I think I saw a spark of something different in Mary during the last chapter, so I can't wait to get started on The Dead-Tossed Waves. Because of the above-mentioned issues, I give The Forest of Hands and Teeth 3 hoots. I liked it and think there is a lot to look forward to from the next two books in the series.



2 comments:

  1. This actually sounds like something I'd love! I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh... I loved this book! It was my favorite out of the series. Great review, hun! <3

    The Violet Hour

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva