Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: June 8, 2011


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event from Jill at Breaking the Spine. To participate, simply share that book(s) you are eagerly awaiting the release of and report back to Breaking the Spine with the link to your post. Clicking the image above will take you straight to her post and link widget. (Special note: The nifty button above comes from Lindsay at The Violet Hour. Isn't it pretty?)

This week I am waiting on Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel, which will hit stores on October 18. I just finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth, so I've broken into my first non-P&P&Z/non-early Anita Blake zombie book (i.e. well written zombie book), plus I've been on a steampunk kick lately, making this one a win-win.

From Goodreads:
Love can never die.

Love conquers all, so they say. But can Cupid’s arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead—or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?

The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria—a high-tech nation modeled on the manners, mores, and fashions of an antique era. A teenager in high society, Nora Dearly is far more interested in military history and her country’s political unrest than in tea parties and debutante balls. But after her beloved parents die, Nora is left at the mercy of her domineering aunt, a social-climbing spendthrift who has squandered the family fortune, and now plans to marry her niece off for money. For Nora, no fate could be more horrible—until she’s nearly kidnapped by an army of walking corpses.

But fate is just getting started with Nora. Catapulted from her world of drawing-room civility, she’s suddenly gunning down ravenous zombies alongside mysterious black-clad commandos and confronting “The Laz,” a fatal virus that raises the dead—and hell along with them. Hardly ideal circumstances. Then Nora meets Bram Griswold, a young soldier who is brave, handsome, noble . . . and dead. But as is the case with the rest of his special undead unit, luck and modern science have enabled Bram to hold on to his mind, his manners, and his body parts. And when his bond of trust with Nora turns to tenderness, there’s no turning back. Eventually, they know, the disease will win, separating the star-crossed lovers forever. But until then, beating or not, their hearts will have what they desire.

In Dearly, Departed, steampunk meets romance meets walking-dead thriller, spawning a madly imaginative novel of rip-roaring adventure, spine-tingling suspense, and macabre comedy that forever redefines the concept of undying love.

19 comments:

  1. Zombies! I don't read nearly enough about them. The cover for this one is really nice, too!

    Stephanie @ Poetry to Prose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic pick - this one is also on my to-read list and has been for some time! THAT COVER!!!

    Check out my WOW this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome! Adding to my wish list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover,,and it sounds like it would be a great read,,thanks for sharing
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds really interesting and the cover is gorgeous. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great WoW pick! I'm so excited for this one's release too. I've probably read the summary for this one 100 times, it sounds so good though especially that last paragraph.

    My WoW is here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to reading this one, A great choice!

    My WoW pick, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome pick! This is definitely going in my to-be-read pile. Thanks for posting it!

    Ange @ the Moonlight Reader

    My WoW: http://tiny.cc/d27xy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to reading this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for this one either! Heard about it awhile back and immediately fell in love with it! It sounds sooo good and different! Really getting into the steampunk books!

    Here's my WoW

    Old Follower
    Jess@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh sounds so good!! I need to remember this one!! Thanks for putting it on my radar. =)

    Waiting on Wednesday (30)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the sound of this - the whole "New Victoria" thing sounds really cool. Awesome pick - and I love the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pick and cover.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/06/waiting-on-wednesday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait for this one too. Sounds awesome.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/06/waiting-on-wednesday-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait for this one! It looks soo good.

    here is my WOW
    http://thebookaddict-melby.blogspot.com/2011/06/waiting-on-wednesday-is-weekly-event.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can say is WOW, this sounds awesome.

    http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/2011/06/waiting-on-wednesday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds so unique and different. I can't wait to read it too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, so I'll admit I've never been a really big fan of zombies, but I am seriously dying to read this book! The cover is gorgeously fantastic, as I know the rest of the book is sure to be. lol.

    Oh, and I'm totally your new resident crazy girl in a tree! ;)

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva