Friday, June 24, 2011

Review: Lament

by Maggie Stiefvater
publisher: Flux
date published: October 1, 2008
format: paperback
pages: 325
source: library
Amazon / Goodreads / B&N

From Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand - one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass - a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky - and equally dangerous - dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .
What I Thought

Once again, Maggie Stiefvater has completely blown me away. I was curious as to the angle that would be taken as I opened the cover and began to read, only to be absorbed into the world of a painfully shy sixteen year old girl. Deirdre is a paradox. She is enormously talented and is said to sing like an angel. Her performances are known to bring crowds to their feet. However, she is also skittish and tends to blend into the background (at least, to her own reckoning). I immediately felt a kinship for Deirdre and could easily connect with her on the level of personality. As she meets Luke and begins to find out that her world is not as it has always seemed, she embarks on a journey of self-discovery, danger, and heartbreak. For all of her shyness, however, Deirdre has an impeccable b.s. radar and she does stand up for herself when she needs to.

The characters that make up Lament are incredibly well-written and I didn't find it difficult at all to see them in my mind's eye. I was especially impressed with the way in which the faeries came to life on the page. It was very easy to reconcile them with those found in the Irish myths and legends I read with so much fervor while growing up. They are every bit as strange and menacing as lore portrays them. Even those that play an extremely minor role stuck with me as I made my way through the book.

Aside from the faeries, there is an interesting mix of human characters. Deirdre's mother, aunt, and grandmother are each a unique kind of woman with their own distinct personality. As their family history comes to light, the strength each exhibits (though it is not always a kind type of strength) sets them apart and adds to the story. The male cast of characters is developed just as well, with the possible exception of Deirdre's father, who doesn't actually play a very big role in the plot. Deirdre's best friend, James, is a charming and funny sort, who also hides some surprising secrets. I appreciated the glimpses I was given and actually wished he could have appeared more in this book. Luke, on the other hand, is a heart-breaking character that you can't help but feel sadness for as you learn more about him. His past is tragic, dark, and full of pain. He was all the more compelling for it and I can't wait to find out more about him.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story line and absorbed all of the nuances that made up the danger sequences and the queen's motives. The plot twists were truly unexpected and I had a great appreciation for how things were wrapped up at the end. This isn't your happily-ever-after type of faerie story. Instead, it is intense, raw, and engrossing. The choices that must be made are not easy ones, nor are the consequences easy. The outcome was a poignant reminder of the tradition that comes with Irish mythology and folklore, and I am truly grateful for not being disappointed in that aspect of the story.

This is a very well-written faerie novel that I had a lot of trouble putting down. The utilization of Irish fairy lore and the vivid character descriptions completely sold this book. This is a library book, but you can be sure that I will be buying a copy of my own at the next available opportunity. Lament has received a well-earned 5 hoots. I believe that this is going to be a much-loved series in my personal library.

8 comments:

  1. I loved Lament, too, especially the Celtic tradition. Can't wait for the next book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lament is a favorite of mine-- glad you enjoyed it, too! The sequel, Ballad, is from James's point of view, and just as good.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, OK, you've convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a fan of this series! Excellent choice!

    Fantastic review, I enjoyed it and it reminded me again why I loved this series so much :o]

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this review. This is exactly the kind of book that my sister likes. I'll recommend the series to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your review. I haven't read anything by her because I just cannot get into werewolves. I see the word and it's as if I get instant ADD. I'm going to start with this book by her and see if I can't ease myself into her other series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this review! You totally convinced me to FINALLY read this book! I love Maggie, but this book just did not appeal to me. Now I am going to get it on my nook :)

    You asked me on my WoW how is The Scorpio Races. I finished it the other day. It was amazing. I might even like it more then Shiver!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Maggie S! I really need to pick up this series. It sounds like it's really good. :) Thanks for sharing your awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva