Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I may be stranded, but at least I have my books!

We had a car disaster yesterday when we left to cat sit for my in-laws. Inexplicably, the pull spring (i.e. the huge spring located over each tire) snapped and wound up resting on top of the tire. Thus, when I started driving, the spring started burning a ring around the inner edge of the tire, which caused a horrible smell and billowing smoke to emanate from my car. Luckily, we hadn't left town yet and there is a service station a few blocks from our apartment. The mechanic saw us coming and came right out to us. After the discovery of the problem, it was determined that the cost of repairs would be over $500 and take several days. Yikes. Luckily, a friend of mine had the evening free and kindly agreed to drive us to my in-laws' house so we could keep our word. However, we will now be here until the end of week where we had originally planned to only stay a couple of days. What's worse is that I'm going to miss my packages from UPS containing new books and we're going to have to rent a car so I can get John to his doctor appointment on Friday. I'm going to be on the phone a lot today as I try to get UPS to hold my packages until I can get there to pick them up and arrange for a rental car through Enterprise. What fun.

Being the bookworm that I am, I was at least prepared. I brought two paperback books and my NOOK with me, not to mention my laptop, so I'll at least be able to keep up with my reading and my blogging. I'll probably finish one if not both of the books I am currently reading today, so I have that to look forward to. In the meantime, we're going to try to make the best of things and treat this as if it were a vacation. There isn't much else we can do since we're stuck here without a car until Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva