Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm Still Here Reading...

though not in the capacity I would like to be reading. I am taking a full course load this semester and am in the midst of a very difficult class. I am taking a history of the English language course that is putting me through the ringer. I am trying to make my way through The English Language: A Historical Introduction by Charles Barber, Joan C. Beal, and Philip A. Shaw. It is a very informative book and includes everything from phonetics to full-on history. It is, however, very dense and there is a lot of information to take in. I will say that I am still learning a lot from this class. I have picked up several of the IPA symbols (i.e. phonetic symbols), which I wouldn't have thought possible. Learning about why the English language is spoken the way it is today and where the different parts come from is also very interesting. I'm having to put more effort into reading this book than I'm used to, but I think it will be very much to my advantage by the time I'm finished.

Rest assured that I am still working on my recreational reading. I try to steal moments with my current book while I wait for classes to begin or for the bus to arrive. In the meantime, I will continue writing here in some capacity. I'm going to do my best to get ahead in this class so I can have more time for what I'm calling my "sanity reading." I'm nearing the finish line in both this class and my current program of study. I've got to keep going and to do that, I'm going to need to blow off steam through reading for pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva