Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Being a Jane Austen Mystery Reading Challenge 2011

I'm already participating in the Goodreads 2011 reading challenge with a commitment to read 50 books this year. I just stumbled upon another challenge that I'm very excited about at Austen Prose-A Jane Austen Blog. The challenge is to read novels from Stephanie Barron's Being a Jane Austen Mystery series. I first discovered these fun novels about 5 years ago and really enjoyed the ones that I have gotten to read so far. I still have several of them on my Goodreads "To-Read" list, so this would be a wonderful opportunity to check them off the list.

There are 3 different levels of commitment: Neophyte (read 1-4 novels); Disciple (5-8 novels); and Aficionada (9-11 novels). I would love to go for the Aficionada level, but my local libraries don't have any books from the series, so I am going to have to procure them for myself. I just ordered the first novel using an Amazon gift card that I earned via Swagbucks, but it will take quite a length of time to collect all 11 novels. Therefor, I think I will go for the Disciple level and if I can read more than that, great!

There are currently 10 novels with an 11th to be released in August. The novels are as follows:

  1. Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manner (1996)
  2. Jane and the Man of the Cloth (1997)
  3. Jane and the Wandering Eye (1998)
  4. Jane and the Genius of the Place (1999)
  5. Jane and the Stillroom Maid (2000)
  6. Jane and the Prisoner of the Wool House (2001)
  7. Jane and the Ghosts of Netley (2003)
  8. Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (2005)
  9. Jane and the Barque of Frailty (2006)
  10. Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (2010)
  11. Jane and the Canterbury Tale (2011)
It is my goal to get through at least the first 8. If I'm going to go for the Disciple level, I want to go big! Who knows, maybe I'll be able to keep pushing into the Aficionada level and up my Goodreads commitment in the process. A girl needs a little ambition in her life.

Update; June 6, 2011 - I am doing a lot more ARC and galley reviews than I would have anticipated, so something has to give. I have not made any progress on this challenge in quite a while, so I am going to have to bow out for this year. Hopefully I can give it another shot next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva