Thursday, March 24, 2011

Review: The Iron King

by Julie Kagawa
publisher: Harlequin Teen
date published: February 1, 2010
format: paperback
pages: 363
source: purchased

From Goodreads:

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."

What I Thought

I could barely put this book down. It read incredibly well and was so deliciously creepy at times that I couldn't wait to see what happened next. The world Kagawa created in this book reminds me of what Laurell K. Hamilton was beginning to craft when she began the Merry Gentry series. That is, it makes me think of what that series could have been if Hamilton hadn't made it so... well, I'll just use "kinky" for lack of a better word. The different lands are described in such detail that you can picture it in your mind's eye. You are also left guessing as to everyone's motives, so you definitely stay on the edge of your seat.

I really liked the characters in this book. Meghan was relatable and just imperfect enough to add depth to the story. I knew almost immediately who/what her friend, Robbie, was, but I have read a lot of folklore and mythology. In fact, I was pleased to see him worked into the story. Ash was a bit of a cliche (the whole brooding while trying to keep his distance and failing miserably aspect), but I didn't really find him annoying. The monsters and villains were well-done, too. They were horrible, sinister, creepy, you name it. I certainly wouldn't want to run into these things in a dark alley.

If you enjoy books with plot lines that revolve around faeries, you will probably enjoy this one. I applaud Kagawa for achieving what Laurell K. Hamilton lost sight of. Thus, I give this book 5 hoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva