Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: Ink Exchange

by Melissa Marr
publisher: HarperTeen
date published: May 1, 2008
format: hardcover
pages: 325
source: library
Amazon / Goodreads
challenges: Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge; 2011 YA Reading Challenge

From Goodreads:
"To 17-year-old Leslie, the tattoo is a thing of indescribable beauty, a captivating mark that she must make her own. But this subtle web of eyes and wings brings with it a transformation that no sweet young girl would ever imagine or welcome. Like its predecessor, this stand-alone sequel to Wicked Lovely plunges its youthful heroine into a faery world of almost constant peril. A tantalizing urban fantasy that won't let go."


What I Thought

Ink Exchange started off much better than Wicked Lovely. Where I had problems getting into the plot of the latter, Ink Exchange drew me in almost immediately. This story featured Leslie, a schoolmate and friend of Aislinn, who we find out is hiding a dark secret that we would not have guessed in Wicked Lovely. Another faerie monarch is also introduced. Irial is the king of the Dark Court and is struggling to prevent the starvation of his people. If you were paying attention during Wicked Lovely, you will recall a brief cameo he made early on.

As Leslie tries to escape the pain and fear she hides within herself, she sets out to get a tattoo that will change her entire world. What results is a much darker, intense plot than occurred in Wicked Lovely. Several weighty issues are portrayed and explored, all of which make for a richer, more in-depth plot. The characters are richly portrayed due to the prominence of emotions in this book and the price of trying to escape fear and pain is detailed.

I found Leslie to be a much more involving character than Aislinn. Her problems will make you feel for her and wish that help will be provided for her. Irial is a much different "villain" (I'm not sure whether he is a full-fledged villain or not) than Beira was, as well. Nothing is black-and-white with him. Instead, Irial is made up of many shades of gray, which is very fitting considering his relationship with darkness and shadows. I spent much of the book waffling between hating him and feeling sorry for him, which was very surprising. Niall was also introduced in more depth in this book and I feel he is a better character for it.

Overall, I found this book to be very involving. I started it late last night and finished it within 24 hours. I did not want to put it down. I felt more invested with these main characters, and for that reason, I gave Ink Exchange 5 hoots.

2 comments:

  1. I have not read this one yet. I was already to listen on audio, but found out that is it a different reader than Wicked Lovely. Will read the print version. Glad to know you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This book is my favourite of the series! I LOVE irial! I'm a new follower, via friday follow =]

    ReplyDelete

Ruta Fans
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Incredible Things and Under My Umbrella kits by Irene Alexeeva